- This lesson reimagines an existing instructional resource, "The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck" created by Franky Abbott, Digital Public Library of America.
In this remix, "The Grapes of Wrath" and the related primary source documents are exchanged for "Farewell to Manzanar" and related primary sources accessed through secondary open-source databases.
Discussion questions ask students to consider the memoir in light of its historical context and students gain experience reading and evaluating visual sources including political cartoons and propaganda posters to understand how elements of rhetorical can shape and/or reflect cultural values.
- Communication and Multimodal Literacy, Non-fiction
- High School
- Grade 9, Grade 10, Grade 11
- Material Type:
- Activity/Lab, Case Study, Primary Source, Unit of Study
- Andrea Yarbough
- Date Added:
- Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial
- Media Format:
No evaluations yet.