#GoOpenVA Inappropriate and Inaccurate Material Policy
Date last updated: 12/17/19
As a matter of course, all content that is uploaded to GoOpenVA.org is scanned using a system put in place by ISKME and which screens for profanity or pornographic language. Users are notified if their uploaded material failed the scan. If a user believes the language should be allowed in a specific instance, they can request a review from the System Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Inappropriate content [material] is not to be submitted in any way to the #GoOpenVA Platform and Website, and may be reviewed, edited, moved or deleted by the #GoOpenVA Administrator. Inappropriate content is defined as including but not limited to:
- Obscene or threatening language or hate speech based on race, gender, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, or disability
- Abusive, defamatory, or sexually explicit language or materials
- Post or comments that advocate illegal activity
- Content that has no relevance to education to include links to external online sites that do not support an educational purpose within the context of the posting
- Promotions of particular services, products, or political candidates or organizations
- Information that may tend to compromise the safety or security of the #GoOpenVA Platform and Website.
Inaccurate content is defined for #GoOpenVA as content which is demonstrably incorrect and/or contradicts the established Virginia Standards of Learning.
If you believe a user of the #GoOpen Platform has posted inappropriate or inaccurate content, we encourage you to contact us using the procedure outlined below.
Procedure for Reporting Inappropriate or Inaccurate Material:It is VDOE’s policy to (i) block access to or remove any content (including, without limitation, educational materials, text, graphics, and/or photos) (collectively, "Content") that it believes in good faith meets the definition of inappropriate or inaccurate content noted above; and (ii) remove and discontinue service to infringers.
If you believe that Content residing on or accessible through the #GoOpenVA Platform is inappropriate or inaccurate, please send a notice of inappropriate material containing the following information to the #GoOpenVA Administrator:
- Identification of the Content, including (i) a description of how the material in question is inappropriate or inaccurate, using the definitions provided, and (ii) a description of where the material in question is located on or in the #GoOpenVA Platform, with sufficient detail that we may verify the existence of the material within the #GoOpenVA Platform (e.g., a precise URL);
- Your contact information, including your full name, mailing address, telephone number, and email address;
- A statement by you including the rationale of why you claim the material is inappropriate or inaccurate based upon the definition and categories provided in the definition of inappropriate content. Please include the Virginia SOL which is involved, if appropriate.
Please note that information provided in connection with an inappropriate or inaccurate material complaint, excluding the name and contact information of the complainant, will be forwarded to the Registered User whose Content has been removed or disabled.
Once proper notification of inappropriate or inaccurate material is received by the #GoOpenVA Administrator, it is VDOE’s policy to immediately disable access to the allegedly-inappropriate or inaccurate material. The #GoOpenVA Administrator will review the material within 2 business days of receipt of notice and review the information supplied by the complainant. If it is determined that the material is NOT inappropriate or inaccurate, the access will be restored to the material. If it is determined that the material is inappropriate or inaccurate, the #GoOpenVA Administrator will notify the Registered User whose Content has been removed or disabled.
Procedure to Mount an Appeal to the Designated Agent:
If the Registered User whose Content has been removed or disabled believes that the Content is not inappropriate or inaccurate, the Registered User must send an appeal containing the following information to the Designated Agent listed below:
- Identification of the Content that has been removed or disabled, including a description of where the material in question appeared on the #GoOpenVA Platform before it was removed or disabled (e.g., a precise URL);
- A statement by you, justifying use of the material and why you feel it is not inappropriate or inaccurate.
- Your contact information, including full name, mailing address, telephone number, and email address.
An appeal will be reviewed within two weeks (14 days) by at least 2 members of the #GoOpenVA Advisory Committee and 1 Virginia Department of Education employee. If the material is deemed to be inappropriate or inaccurate by this ad hoc group, the material will continue to be blocked and the owner will be notified of the decision. If the material is deemed to NOT be inappropriate or inaccurate, access to the material will be restored and both the complainant and the content owner will be notified of the decision.
Please contact the #GoOpenVA’s Administrator at the following email: email@example.com