- Students will participate in a 5E lesson. To ENGAGE, students will connect their understanding of the characteristics of life to the fundamental molecule of life: DNA. To EXPLORE, students will extract DNA from fruit in a hands on (or video of a) lab, and then, students will act as Watson and Crick and use clues to discover the structure of DNA. In the EXPLAIN section, students will use slides to fill out guided notes on the structure of DNA and RNA. To ELABORATE on their understanding of DNA, students can participate in the CRISPR-Cas9 interactive and the Regulation of the Lactase Gene click and learn. Formative evaluations of students's ability to model DNA include (1) using an online interactive, (2) using their bodies as a class, and (3) using a cut and paste model. Finally, the summative EVALUATE is a DNA Model FlipGrid in which students use various materials to construct and explain the structure of DNA.
- STEM/STEAM, Health and Medical Sciences, Science, Living Systems and Processes, Scientific and Engineering Practices
- High School
- Material Type:
- Activity/Lab, Assessment, Case Study, Lecture Notes
- Mary Hill
- Date Added:
- Creative Commons Attribution
- Media Format:
- Downloadable docs, Graphics/Photos, Interactive, Video
No evaluations yet.